Thursday, October 28, 2010

Jury was 11-1 in favor of Conviction


The lawyers on both sides had the opportunity to speak with the jurors after the trial.  Apparently the final split was 11-1 in favor of conviction.  They began the first day of deliberations with it being 9-3 in favor of conviction and pretty quickly it became 10-2.  By this morning it was 11-1.  One of the jurors told the NY Post that all three initial holdouts were women.

Apparently this lone idiot voting no wasn't arriving at her position based on the evidence but had this position from the beginning.  While I don't know who this juror was, I do have my suspicions and I don't believe that it was the sleeping juror.  From what I understand, this juror couldn't get past the whole "ick factor" of George's smothering fetish and was totally grossed out by it.  This in spite of the fact that all of the jurors were questioned about this during jury selection and all indicated that even if they thought this was weird, they could arrive at a verdict based on the evidence.  This juror clearly violated her oath and just ignored the law.  It was plain to everyone watching (including the vast majority of the jury) that Katehis was guilty of second degree murder, as it's defined by the law and that his defense of "justification" and/or "intoxication" was pure nonsense. 

I'm really so sad.  I can't even begin to describe the injustice in this.  Because of one renegade juror, this devil remains unconvicted. 

There is a pre-trial hearing set for next week.  If there is going to be a new trial, I hope it's soon so as to spare George's family any further prolonged agony as it relates to this.  Apparently the 11 in favor were surprised when the Judge told them he would declare a mistrial and they wanted to keep going until they got a conviction, that's why they initially asked the Judge for a few more hours.  It became clear though after the Judge left the jury room, that this juror wasn't going to change his mind.

Now though, if I were to guess, there will be renewed plea negotiations between the prosecution and the defense and my guess is after seeing how close this was to a conviction Katehis will take a plea somewhere in the neighborhood of eighteen years to life.  Part of me hopes that's the case, so as to spare George's family another trial and to get this maniac in prison to begin serving his sentence as quickly as possible, but a big part of me would like to see a conviction at trial (which I believe will occur) so that he can get the maximum possible sentence. 

This is just so unfair and I hope this renegade juror who had absolutely no regard for the oath he swore to uphold is as haunted by Katehis and his satanic imagery as I am.

Needless to say, it is unlikely he will be getting bail.

No comments:

Post a Comment